Monday, May 22, 2006

Clearing out the pantry beer bread

so... I haven't been to the grocery store in a while. I admit it. Last week it was because I was pretty swamped at work, now it's mostly because I am lazy.

This leads to everyone's favorite game: what the heck can I make for dinner?

Last night's answer was potato soup and garlic-cheddar beer bread. Admittedly, the potato soup was from a mix - Bear Creek, add water and stir - one of my favorite recipes.

But the bread was from scratch. And what makes this truly a spectacular recipe - made from scratch using ingredients I had on hand after two weeks without grocery shopping in about 10 minutes. Genius!

Clearing Out the Pantry Garlic-Cheddar Beer Bread

Ingredients (according to my Joy of Cooking starter recipe - I tend to eyeball most of the seasonings - so fudge accordingly):

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t garlic powder
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 12oz bottle beer (I like to use Labatt Blue because it comes in 11.5 oz bottles, so I feel obligated to open a second bottle and then drink the rest - but whatever is in the fridge will work)

Out of whole-wheat flour? Use all-purpose. Out of scallions? Skip 'em. Out of cheddar? Use a different cheese or leave it out. Out of salt? Seriously, go to the store.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a loaf pan. Dump all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Pour the beer on top and stir. Transfer to your loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.

See? Easy.


This was the finished product. Total comfort food. I had a salad for lunch, which made me feel a bit better about the carbohydrate overload.

Are you impressed that after two weeks without grocery shopping, I still have a garnish on my soup? Does anyone think I garnish soup when I'm not taking its picture?

1 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Briana said...

I wanna come over for dinner. That looks yummy. I think I'm hungry! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home