Thursday, August 10, 2006

Grilled Goodness

On Wednesday nights, my friend Peggy and I take my dog for a walk and then cook dinner together.

Due to the aforementioned walks, we are usually pretty hungry and none of the food seems to stick around long enough to pose for pictures - so you'll have to take my word for it.

And as it is Wednesday, we don't stand on ceremony and tend to invent recipes based on whatever is living in my pantry.

A couple of recent successes:

Peggy is part of a CSA project and gets a bunch of veggies each week. We never know what she's getting, but it is always fresh and wonderful. I am not fancy enough to keep sea salt in the house and actually ran out of Morton's (pathetic, I know). Turns out that margarita salt is perfect for seasoning veggies for the grill. Tomatoes and peppers and zucchini and squash have all been fantastic. We mostly stick to salt, pepper and olive oil, but a splash of tequila can't hurt. (Just you know, splash away from the fire)

So the moral of this story is - go make friends with someone in a CSA. Or, you could sign-up for one yourself. A great way to get amazing produce and support local farmers without having to wake up on Saturday mornings to go to the farmer's market. (Although sometimes it is worth getting up for the cheese samples)


Another (more recipe-based) success was our Apricot Salmon. Emily has made really great grilled salmon with an orange marmalade-based glaze, but I don't have orange marmalade in my house. But I did have a jar of low-sugar apricot jam, so I thought I would use that. (I know it's not the same thing at all, but go with me here)

Apricot Salmon

as usual, all measurements are approximate

2 Tbsp low-sugar apricot jam
1 tsp soy sauce
2-3 cloves minced garlic (or, if you get it out of a jar like me, about a tsp)
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Shmoosh all of the above together in a small bowl. Adjust the proportions to taste, but try to keep it thick enough to stick to the fish.

Spread across a 1lb salmon filet (or steaks would work - whatever is on sale). Wrap the salmon in foil and grill for 8-10 minutes or until flaky and good. I think this would work out to be more of a glaze if you put it on salmon steaks and cooked them directly over the fire. You get a little less caramelization in the packet, but then I don't have to stress about flipping a 1lb salmon filet. It's all about trade offs.

Anyway, this made a very nice dinner with a little rice and some broccoli. A "make-do" recipe that I would make again.

2 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Okay, now I really have to go find someone to get me fresh produce :) That sounds delicious!

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Briana said...

Yeah, not only does my mom knit, she has a green thumb. She has about an acre of produce in her yard and grows just about everything you can imagine. I'll have to take photo again. What an awesome dinner you had!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home