Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Emergency Dessert

First of all, I am still working on my assorted incomplete knitting projects, but it seems silly to post more pictures of that. Check it out everyone, my blanket is six inches long. Now look - it's eight inches long! Yeah, not so much.

So I'll talk about other people's knitting. Briana is a super-talented scrapbooker and photographer. Her mom is a super-talented knitter (must be genetic). Check out the gorgeous shawl she made. I hope I can knit like that one day.

And, I'll talk about my other favorite thing - dessert. Mmmmm...dessert.

This is a little pseudo-cobbler recipe that I threw together when I had unexpected dinner guests. If you are actually expecting guests, I might suggest substituting fresh seasonal fruit. Unexpected guests, just dust off the can of peaches that has been in the pantry forever.

Emergency Back-Up Pseudo-Cobbler (feel free to call it something else for your guests)

Puff pastry is a wonderful invention. I'm told you can actually make it yourself, but in my world, this is something found in the freezer section at the grocery store. Defrost enough of it to top your baking dish of choice. I used ramekins - I think ramekins inherently make food seem fancier.



Dust off and drain the can of peaches hiding in the back of your pantry. It is okay if the colander is in the dishwasher. Just use the vegetable steamer. While you are at it, take the half bag of frozen blackberries out of the freezer to thaw.


Layer some peaches in each of the ramekins.


Add a layer of blackberries. Sprinkle with a bit of sugar and some flour or cornstarch so that your pseudo-cobbler isn't too runny.


Top with a circle of puff pastry. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.


My pastry didn't puff up quite as much as I would have hoped. Next time, I might cook the puff pastry on a cookie sheet and add it to the fruit afterwards. But who are we kidding - this is an emergency dessert - I don't have time to think of such things in an emergency. Better to just camouflage with a little ice cream.

I'm confident that you could have figured this recipe out without the photo illustrations, but that wouldn't be as much fun.

3 Comments:

At 3:49 AM, Blogger Dame Wendy said...

(found you on the knitty blog thread. )

Ooo that looks great!! I'll definitely have to remember it next time we have company! :)

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger wonky said...

What a fabulous idea! Now methinks I will be making raspberry cobbler tonight...

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Briana said...

You are the sweetest!! Thanks for the plug on your blog. I can't knit worth anything but at least I can scrapbook! My moms makes me so proud but she thinking scrapbooking is a waste of time. Funny, huh?! Too bad you don't live in MI. She would love to give lessons! She loves knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home