Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Next stop - sleeves!

Check me out: I'm a knitter of sweaters.

Well, knitter of toddler sized vests, but I think it still counts.


The pattern is from the Vogue Knitting on the Go: Vests book that my CASP sent me. I used a red, 100% cotton yarn on US size 6 needles, which were also from my CASP.

In true cheap @$$ fashion, I bought the yarn at the mill end shop across the street from my house - total cost for this project (and whatever I make from the 200+ yards I have left): $6.

It is basically just two stockinette rectangles sewn together, but I'm still pretty impressed with myself. I'm no longer intimidated at the thought of knitting actual garments rather than just accessories.

The scariest bit was shrinking. This shrank up about 20% in length which was kind of a lot. Gauge swatch or no, the fact that I ended up with the measurements I intended was a pleasant surprise.

The shrinking was key for future laundering options. I like the idea of a toddler sweater being something that you can throw in the washer and dryer, particularly this sweater with the handy pocket for storing cheerios and goldfish crackers and leaves and dirt and whatever other important toddler things need storing.

1 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that's awesome! And it so counts. I never have the patience to finish a whole huge project. Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home