Friday, September 07, 2007

All I wanted was to buy some buttons

Grr. Bad customer service.

Slow but sure, I've made some progress on my ribbon-edged baby cardigan. This is the vestiness portion. There is some sleeve action as well, but they are still on the needles.


I thought that I would take the vesty part to the "world's largest button and fabric store" to buy some buttons, now that I know how big my buttonholes will be. Conveniently, the "world's largest button and fabric store" is in downtown Louisville and just a few blocks from my office.


I wanted to get some fancy, girly buttons since I'm making this for a fancy, girly baby. It is already blue so I thought we could hearts and flowers it up a bit. (I first met the baby in question when she was about 4 hours old. Somehow she already had a teeny pink bow in her hair. See what I mean? Fancy and girly)


The button store in question closes at 5:30 on weeknights. So I go barreling out of work at about 5:04 and arrive at the store at no later than quarter after.


Now, I've worked retail. I know how badly you want to be able to actually close the store at the time posted in the window. I know how annoying it is when you have that one customer who lingers long past the posted closing time. So I firmly intended to be in and out in 10 minutes.


I'm not in the store 3 minutes when they make the "(insert name of store) will be closing in five minutes, please complete your shopping and proceed to the registers" announcement.


Then, they shut off all of the lights in the button section where I'm standing. Immediately. After saying you have five minutes, I'm standing in the dark. I find what looks to be little pearl buttons of the correct size and make my way to the register.


Sarah's total time in the store: less than 5 minutes. Actual time: about 5:20. When I get to the cash register, where the lights are still on, I see that the buttons I've grabbed are actually a pale lavender and not the white that I thought.


Grr. I leave the stupid purple buttons on the counter and leave.


Forget this. I'll go to JoAnn's. I tried to support my local craft shops, but this is not the first time I have had terrible service at this particular store. So screw 'em. Clearly they don't need my business. So they won't be getting it anymore.


Okay. End of venting. I need to get back to the sleeve-making.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home