Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Vicarious Card Swapping, Part 2

I got a little glue stick crazy this weekend with all of the fun cardmaking kits my sister sent me. Of course the more I made, the worse I got about following directions, as evidenced by this Halloween card and Christmas card.


For the Halloween card, things started out okay. It was a paper pieced pumpkin and I figured out the assembly process alright. But then I decided that I didn't like the color of the stem that was provided. Or at least I didn't like the color of the stem with the background paper.

So I traced the stem onto a different green. Then the inside of the card read "cute as a pumpkin" or something like that. Sweet, but not a sentiment I am likely to mail out to anyone. So I used another block of the nouveau green to cover it up on the inside. Then I trimmed a bit of the background paper off the front with the hopes of making the inside look on purpose (rather than like I had glued a sheet of paper on top of a message I didn't like).

And because somethings never change, even when I'm given all of the necessary materials and I have a giant tote filled with legitimate scrapbooking supplies, I can't help but improvise. Remember the flip flop layout? Well, the other one provided just the right touch of dimension to this card.

Check it - 3D pumpkin!



The same instruction sheet also had a mock up for this Christmas card. But because I just can't help myself, and I have a brand new crimper, I felt like the green background really needed to be a crimped green background. Texture is very important in cardmaking you know (or at least that's the story I'm going with).

Sadly if you crimp the paper it no longer goes all the way to the paper edge like it did when it was flat - so you have to trim it a bit to make it look like that was on purpose. And instead of a swirly, freehand approach, I wanted to attach my ribbon in a line. I like lines.

Then I could carry the line around to the inside of the card. See? Fancy.

Of course, the ribbon didn't really stick to the glue or behave in an appropriate manner of any sort, so I ended up taping it down underneath one of the gold boxes. Don't tell anyone, but this is probably not an acid-free, archival-quality solution. But it did help me to liberate my glue covered fingers from the uncooperative ribbon.

And the finished project...


I realize that the crimping doesn't show up in the photo, but it's there, I promise.


1 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an awesome pumpkin card.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home